Work in Progress - June 2021
Last month I said I would not cast on something else. But, no surprise, I cast on three new projects!
The first is a cowl for me. This cowl is inspired by the one worn by Jessica Jones in the Netflix show. The pattern is by Handmade by Smine on Ravelry or Etsy. I've added more stitches as I wanted a looser single loop. I LOVE it. I'm using Fyberspates Vivacious 4ply in Denim.
Vivacious is a semi-solid hand dyed merino. Combined with linen stitch, you get a lovely effect as colours overlap imitating a woven fabric.
City Block Shawl by Laura Aylor available on Ravelry
I'm also knitting myself a City Block Shawl using my stash of a now discontinued aran yarn. The pattern is written for 4ply, so I'm hoping mine will be HUGE. It's just a long strip at the moment... the shaping will come in about 100 rows!
The third new cast on is also a new finished project and shop sample. We had an In Threes capped sleeved cardigan before, but the yarn was discontinued. This new version is knitted in Woolcraft Heather Aran. It's an acrylic wool blend with a marled colour effect. I just need to add buttons.
In Threes is a great pattern for your first top down seamless garment:
- The increasing is simple and worked evenly around the yoke.
- There are no sleeves, once you've cast off the capped sleeves you're done with them.
- Sizes start at 0-6 months and with an aran thickness yarn you'll be finished in a weekend!
- Sizes do go up to 5 years and you can easily add length, so the pattern will last a while.
I'm onto the second sock of last month's new cast on. I'm using Opal 4ply sock yarn shade 9985 in the Joy range. I'm just using a basic cuff-down pattern. There is a free one in the shop or you could try this one on Ravelry.
I knit my socks using the magic loop method where you use a long circular needle to knit a small circumference.
I prefer a 60cm circular needle but I know many prefer 80cm long.
Very Pink Knits has a series of videos on YouTube showing the technique. She uses a thicker yarn but the principles are the same.
Magic loop is also a handy to learn if you do hats as it means you don't need to switch to DPN (Double Pointed Needles) when you start decreasing for the crown.
In other project news, the back of Sami is finished and I've started a sleeve.
Sami is a round neck jumper. I'm using a solid colour yarn with a self striping one to create a multi-colour effect. The yarn is West Yorkshire Spinners ColourLab DK and the pattern is from Life in Colour.
I'm in magpie mode at the moment collecting ideas for future shop samples. I shared some in the newsletter last week:
- Monochrome Cowl by Joji Locatelli on Ravelry. This would either be in the Kinross 4ply or in one of the luxurious undyed yarns available in the Pittenweem shop.
- Oh Happy Wrap by Lisa Hannes on Ravelry. I'm thinking Socks Yeah 4ply, using the neon shades! Although I do have some mini skein packs from My Mama Knits in the Pittenweem shop.
- mo troppo wrap by Åsa Tricosa on Ravelry. I think a combination of Rowan Kidsilk Haze and Fyberspates Gleem lace would be stunning in colour and texture.
- Grærup Slipover by Camilla Vad on Ravelry in WYS ColourLab DK.
- cropped sweater, Lapponia by Veera Välimäki on Ravelry in Fyberspates Vivacious 4ply
To that list I've now added:
- Painting Honeycombs baby blanket by Stephen West on Ravelry in WYS ColourLab DK
- Weekend Shawl by SuviKnits on Ravelry in Rowan Felted Tweed DK
- First Colourwork Cowl by Jared Flood on Ravelry in WYS Croft Aran
Chances are one (or more) of these will feature in July's WiPs!
(If you have difficulty accessing patterns on Ravelry, please get in touch and I'll try to help).