Simple Cowl Colour Combos
Time for another collection of colour combos for our free knitting pattern - Simple Cowl.
This blog post uses Opal Vincent Van Gogh 4ply.
One of our most popular shop samples, the Simple Cowl uses two types of 4ply sock yarn.
tall simple cowl worn three ways and laid flat, this cowl is 45cm tall
The cowl is knitted in the round and it's a good 1st circular project.
And the pattern is easy to modify giving you lots of options to make it your own:
- Knit the whole cowl using the self-patterning sock yarn.
- Knit the whole cowl using a solid colour of Socks Yeah 4ply
- Knit a shorter cowl
- Stripe it!
- Use up small amounts of 4ply
For example, I knitted a short cowl (half the height) using 5 mini balls of Opal 4ply sock yarn.
multi coloured short cowl, this one is 22cm tall
Because Opal sock yarns are mostly limited edition every so often I like to put some combos together, picking out shades of Socks Yeah 4ply that blend or pop against the multi coloured Opal shades.
To knit one tall cowl you only need half of the 100g ball of Opal and one 50g hank of Socks Yeah 4ply. So you could get one ball of Opal and 2 different hanks of Socks Yeah to make 2 different tall cowls.
Obviously, you could also knit:
- a short cowl with one hank of Socks Yeah 4ply
- a tall cowl with one ball of Opal sock yarn
- a tall cowl with two hanks of Opal sock yarn
- two short cowls with one ball of Opal sock yarn
- a short cowl and one pair of trainer socks from one ball of Opal sock yarn
- a tall cowl and a pair of trainer socks with one ball of Opal sock yarn and one hank of Socks Yeah 4ply.
See what I mean about it's versatility?
One of our most recent Opal deliveries are shades inspired by Vincent Van Gogh's paintings. It's quite a muted colour palette, different to the brightly coloured and highly patterned shades we usual get from Opal.
I've picked out 4 shades and added 3 choices of Socks Yeah 4ply.
Remember you only need half the 100g ball of Opal sock yarn and one 50g hank of Socks Yeah 4ply to knit the cowl as written in the pattern. So you could get one ball of Opal and 2 different hanks of Socks Yeah to make 2 different tall cowls.
top left - Opal Vincent Van Gogh shade 5433, Socks Yeah 4ply 118, 116, 112
top right - Opal Vincent Van Gogh shade 5434, Socks Yeah 4ply 119, 114, 111
bottom left - Opal Vincent Van Gogh shade 5432, Socks Yeah 4ply 119, 104, 113
bottom right - Opal Vincent Van Gogh shade 5437, Socks Yeah 4ply 107, 114, 102
And you can download the free pattern here.
The Simple Cowl is not only a good beginner in the round project it's also a perfect travel/holiday project:
- circular needles make it more portable to carry around.
- it's knitted using one needle - so you don't need to carry multiple sizes.
- there is nothing too taxing, so you can pick it up and put it down, or chat and drink without worrying about losing your place (just make sure you mark the start of your round).
- once you cast off, and sorted your ends, you can wear it. Although it does benefit from a gentle wash and a flat drying!
These are exactly the same reasons why I recommend the 3 Colour Cowl too.